This is a heads up about the fun activities planned for you so that you can get amped up for a great week getting to know each other and the rest of the college. The College of Med students work hard and play hard, and during your first week you will become very familiar with this philosophy!
Monday, August 15
- 6-8pm Welcome back BBQ for students, staff, and faculty of the CoM presented by the SMSS (5$ for a burger, drink, chips) – Diefenbaker Park on campus.
- 8:30pm-10:30pm Welcome back beer night (10$ all-you-can-drink beer from 8-10 pm, flip cup/beer pong tournaments vs the upper year students) presented by the upper year students – The Capitol.
Tuesday, August 16
- 5:00pm in MUMPs – Top-secret welcome event organized by the 2nd year students! A can’t miss event, usually >95% of 1st years attend.
Wednesday, August 17
- Saskatchewan Medical Association (SMA) event – you must RSVP on the SMSS Homepage for this (saskmedstudents.com). This is a popular event to introduce you to the SMA with some free dinner and drinks for an all-around good time!
Thursday, August 18
- Time TBD at TBD – Welcome from the clerks (3rd/4th years). Usually a pretty laid back night to meet your classmates and upper-years.
Friday, August 19
- 6:30pm-10:00pm – Welcome back white t-shirt themed pubcrawl presented by the upper year students. Each class usually coordinates a theme, so start thinking about a class theme now! ($10 for a ticket, on sale all week, but we sold out 3 buses last year in about 5 minutes so get your tickets early starting Monday Aug 15 at lunch in MUMPs!)
Saturday, August 20
- Healthcare Classic baseball tournament (I know what you’re thinking – the day after a pubcrawl, are you crazy!? But I once had an organic chem professor tell me that fresh oxygen is probably the best cure for a hangover due to the way you metabolize alcohol, and he should know, right?)
- Information for Healthcare Classic Registration can be found HERE
We highly encourage you to plan to make it out to most or all of these events, as you really don’t want to miss out and we can’t wait to meet you all! Although there are many events where alcohol is available during welcome week, it is purely optional and we respect that there are many people who choose not to partake in drinking. That’s totally ok, still come have fun with us! But, like I said, “work hard, play hard,” so you still have to go to all of your classes during welcome week. We’ve all done it (and will do it again), and now we’re passing the torch… join us for a great week of events! Please see the attached calendar and keep it handy for next week.