On this page you will find information about different funding opportunity within the SMSS and the College of Medicine. Also here, you will find updates on when funding cycles open, when applications for travel applications open and close, and how to access alternative funding.
The SMSS provides funding in a few different ways:
A) Travel Grants – the SMSS will sponsor students to attend conferences workshops and other learning opportunities. For more information click here
B) Student Initiative Grants – the SMSS seeks to support students who want to plan a new conference, activity of event that will benefit the learning, healthy and wellbeing of the student body. For more information click here
C) Student Groups – The SMSS has over 25 student interest groups that host events and skills nights throughout the year. For more information on student groups click here
The SMSS has two funding cycles: Fall (October) and Spring (April)
Student Group Applications (new and returning) can ONLY be submitted for the Fall Funding Cycle. Deadline for Fall funding cycle is October 15th.
Travel Grant and Student Initiative Grants can be submitted for either the Fall Deadline (October 15th) or the Spring Deadline (April 15th).
- Events taking place between October 1 and May 31 need to be applied for by the October 15th
- Events taking place between April 1st and November 31st need to be applied for by the April 15th
- Event occurring in the months of October, November, April and May can be applied for in either of the 2 funding cycles (but not both).
- NOTE: An application can be submitted for an event that has occurred less than 2 weeks before the application deadline
Any further questions can be directed to the SMSS VP Finance at email@example.com
$500 UGME Travel Award (available to students once in their four-year program who are presenting at a conference):
- Attached to an e-mail to Loreen Trautmann requesting the $500 travel award, students provide an approved Leave of Absence form (this confirms their respective preceptor and Phase/Year Coordinator are in approval of absence to present at a conference), copy of their poster presentation as well as the correct mailing address to where the cheque can be forwarded as well as name, location and dates of conference.
- Completion of a Request to Travel/Authority to Travel(Loreen can provide this). Students need only complete Name, NSID, Departure Date, Return Date, Purpose, Signature & Date. Send to Loreen who will complete remainder of document, including budget and approvals.
- Loreen will set-up students on Concur (on-line travel system). If they are already set-up on Concur, they will need to make Loreen their “delegate”.
- Once the conference is over, receipts totaling at least $500 (perhaps an airline receipt for $600) need to be sent to Loreen (e-copies are fine).
- Loreen will create an expense claim on Concur.