This travel award, funded by the Dean’s office, provides funding for 2 students to attend the Canadian Federation of Medical Students (CFMS) Annual General Meeting (AGM) and 2 students to attend the CFMS Spring General Meeting (SGM). This year, the AGM will be in Ottawa, ON, from September 22-24, 2017, while the SGM will be in Halifax, NS, from April 27-28, 2018.
Application (click to download): Dean’s CFMS Travel Award Application
For winners of previous award cycles, click here.
Questions regarding the application or funding process and completed applications should be directed to the VP External: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each year, there will be 4 travel awards distributed: two awards for two students to attend CFMS AGM and two awards for two students to attend CFMS SGM.
- The amount awarded will be adjusted based on location of the general meeting. The amount awarded will cover reimbursement of all costs associated with attending the general meeting, as outlined by the SMSS Travel Policy.
- Application deadlines:
- Applications for CFMS AGM in Ottawa, ON, September 22-24, should be received by 11:59 PM on August 11, 2018.
- Applications for CFMS SGM in Halifax, NS, April 27-28, should be received by 11:59 PM on February 27, 2018.
- Students who have previously won the Dean’s CFMS Travel Award are not eligible to receive the award again.
- Application Process
- Students are encouraged to apply early.
- Students must apply individually for the travel award.
- Students are required to submit 2 applications: 1 copy complete with all information and 1 copy with all identifying information removed. Please do not alter this form.
- Any alterations to the form or failure to submit 2 copies may result in disqualification of the application.
- The application is to be submitted as a Word or PDF document via email to the VP External: email@example.com.
- Any students receiving funding are responsible for arranging their own absence(s) per UGME policy.
- Any students receiving funding are required to attend the SMSS CFMS Roundtable Meeting held in advance of the General Meeting, as well as all sessions of the CFMS General Meeting.
- Funding Requirements
- Expenses must be fully documented with receipts and appropriate Travel Funding forms submitted as per the SMSS Travel Policy (available at http://www.saskmedstudents.com/category-download/budgets-finances/).
- If amounts used to calculate the expenses are deemed to be too high, the SMSS has the authority to modify eligible amounts to per diems set by the University of Saskatchewan, as outlined in the SMSS Travel Policy.
- Reimbursements will be issued via cheque or money transfer upon presentation of receipts after the event.
- Selection Criteria
- The applicant:
- Clearly describes current and previous leadership roles, with a focus on physician leadership and an interest in medical education.
- Provides evidence that attending the CFMS general meeting has specific and significant educational benefit for the individual.
- Describes how attending the CFMS general meeting will benefit the student body and College of Medicine.
- Has not previously received the Dean’s CFMS travel award.
- Is in good academic standing.
- The applicant: